Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:13 PM

PMG5OBJ.jpg

Fal1en was on this train first, of course.  Still, this is great.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#400 ocrumsprug

ocrumsprug

friendly dad actual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4475 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

:stare:

That is insanely good.

Al3sJEr.png

#401 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:53 PM

MAKE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG GREAT AGAIN YA GIT

Ive been p quiet, taking a break from the warhams.

Did the American Revolutionary war and now I flipped over to Star Wars a bit.

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR

AgqiKcD.gif

#402 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

My friend has gotten back into 'hams.  New edition won him over.  He got some minis and now he's painting them and then he's gonna teach us gitz how to play.  Should be fun.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#403 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, Ive been wanting to pick some up.

Only issue is its difficult to justify buying toys for myself when I could buy them for the boy.

Hopefully someday he will get into the hams

AgqiKcD.gif

#404 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 20 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

First ever 40k game was fun.  I spectated the first round when my two friends duked it out.  Friend 1 has played 40K lots before.  Friend 2 played a little a long time ago.  We had two 500 points armies, one Primaris marines, the other Death Guard.  Friend 2 commanded the Death Guard and complained the whole way through, even though he was clearly ahead the whole time.  We just fought.  No objectives.  Some random household items on the table as cover.

When I got a go it was me as the Primaris against Friend 1 with the Death Guard.  Very quickly got a handle for the shooting phase and rounds went by fast.  It's a very workable system.  Friend 1 had a series of hilarious mishaps.  Twice his dudes with plasma guns exploded.  Then when our big guys had gotten into melee finally, his psyker exploded.  We went six rounds and I won by points.  I barely moved.  Just kept range and laid into him with fire. His strategy was to advance behind the screen of his poxwalkers, but I managed to chew through that blob before he had closed to melee and I got some good shots into his CSMs.

We're going to play again this Sunday with proxied armies.  Friend 2 wants to try Tyranids.  I'm going Eldar.  Friend 1 might stick with Death Guard.  He's a Nurgle fan.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#405 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:33 AM

For my second game, Friend 1 is going Death Guard again, basically just Typhus + plague marines.  Friend 2 is in love with nids and is going for their big boys.  I turn have drummed up a volume of fire dark eldar army.  Elites and HQ can do some good work in melee.  Everything else is focused on shooting.  Lots of warriors for cheap law of averages stuff.  (30 shots per round overall, all of them hitting on 3+ and wounding on 4+ regardless of toughness.)  Two squads of scourge with dark lances, which can safely out range, out move, and out shoot basically anything.  Should be fun.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#406 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:38 AM

8th edition rules I would guess with the Primaris and all

was it

f-f

f

fun?

AgqiKcD.gif

#407 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 23 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

8th ed, yeah, and it was quite fun.  I'm even more excited for this second time around, now that I've actually built my own army instead of just using what someone else cooked up.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#408 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 24 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Didn't get to play last night.  Started late and the game between Friends 1 and 2 went long.  That was fine by me.  Was fun to watch.

Friend 2 got super salty when Friend 1 two-rounded his tyrannosaurus fex with a chaos predator.  Friend 2 still won because Friend 1 had that predator, two squads of plague marines, and Typhus, which proved insufficient for a horde of gaunts.  Despite being ahead every round and winning the game -- and doing so because of his army comp and use thereof -- Friend 2 complained the whole through over just about every rule and said he only won because he had good dice rolls.

Afterward I told Friend 1 I thought his mistake was not having any swarm / horde / meat shield units.  Seems to me the trademark Death Guard ability, ignoring any and all wounds on roll of 5+, is strongest when you spread it around.  A swarm of pox walkers + Typhus would have been utterly insane value for the points.

Friend 2 seems in love with the blob.  Wants to try orks next.  Think I can work up an eldar army that will just kite his boys endlessly and blow them up with grenades.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#409 ocrumsprug

ocrumsprug

friendly dad actual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4475 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Do not play a 'nid player that knows who and what he is playing before the game.

This is the #1 secret rule to enjoying 40K.

Al3sJEr.png

#410 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

I just read the rules for Thousand Sons and Rubric Marines.

I henceforth pledge myself to the Ruinous Powers and to the Lord of Change. 

Death to the False Emperor.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#411 leetcheese

leetcheese

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13237 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

I just read the rules for Thousand Sons and Rubric Marines.

I henceforth pledge myself to the Ruinous Powers and to the Lord of Change. 

Death to the False Emperor.

GOOD GOOD JOIN US

i6OnB0N.jpg

#412 Dysphonia

Dysphonia

pussy slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4131 posts
  • LocationThe whole fuckin' show.

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Same

Its why I am building a Dark Angels army.

"%20alt=

#413 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 29 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR

1463913334598.jpg

AgqiKcD.gif

#414 William Westmere

William Westmere

nice avatar friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

Finished Thousand Sons, tbh the whole book I actually didn't like Magnus a lot he was an arrogant dick but by the end yeah it was fucked and I just wanted him to warp stomp some yiffs. Currently on First Heretic, only a couple of chapters in but I actually like Lorgar a lot, he doesn't give any fucks bitch slapping Malcador AND guilliman in the same scene. Does anyone know in which book the actual Horus vs. Emperor showdown happens in? Is it spread out over like 6 books or something?

j6KrFyl.jpg

#415 ocrumsprug

ocrumsprug

friendly dad actual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4475 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

Hasn't happened yet

Al3sJEr.png

#416 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Finished Thousand Sons, tbh the whole book I actually didn't like Magnus a lot he was an arrogant dick but by the end yeah it was fucked and I just wanted him to warp stomp some yiffs. Currently on First Heretic, only a couple of chapters in but I actually like Lorgar a lot, he doesn't give any fucks bitch slapping Malcador AND guilliman in the same scene. Does anyone know in which book the actual Horus vs. Emperor showdown happens in? Is it spread out over like 6 books or something?

Yeah Lorgar continues to be likable for the most part, its Kor Phaeron and Erebus who are really the arch dickheads of the legion (universe). There has never really been a moment where I was like "wow Lorgar is a dickhead". I may be forgetting something but he seems like a p ok guy.

Now Russ on the other hand, he is always a D I C K H E A D

AgqiKcD.gif

#417 Dysphonia

Dysphonia

pussy slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4131 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

Lorgar is the definition of a well meaning idiot

"%20alt=

#418 Dysphonia

Dysphonia

pussy slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4131 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:21 PM

Kor phaeron is the biggest bitch of the 31st century

"%20alt=

#419 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

Hamming again this weekend.  Friend 1 is sticking with his sick boys.  Gonna field some poxwalkers this time, I think.  Friend 2 is giving orks a spin. He seems pretty enamored with their, well, orkiness.  I'm rolling with the murder clowns.  Still doing fairly small armies (750 pts) on not a super large table.  This time we're gonna do missions.  Should be a good time.

Still finalizing my army.  Harlequins don't have a huge roster, so there aren't that many choices.  Big one left for me is whether I go with transports or just put more bodies on the board.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#420 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

Happy to report the MURDERCLOWNS were victorious.  Came down to the wire.  The general harlequin strat is get into melee ASAP and murder everyone.  That process is complicated when you're up against Death Guard.  I tried to hold range and snipe his warlord (Typhus) with my psyker and Death Jester.  The former was quite effective.  The latter totally useless because his gun his AP 0 and Typhus has 2+ terminator armor.  gf gfgfgf.  I also tried to snipe his bloat drone with my tank, which only half worked.  In retrospect I should've closed faster with his swarms of pox walkers.  It was always going to be bloody because of Papa Nurgle's bag of tricks, but my dudes dished out much worse than they got in the fight phase.  We both started with 750 points.  Ended at the bottom of round 6 with him tabled and me with my two HQs and a single biker dude, each with only a single wound left on them.

Super fun game.  Gonna need to actually buy some models soon. 

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#421 Dysphonia

Dysphonia

pussy slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4131 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

Don't go murder clowns for real tho, the models look like actual hell to paint

"%20alt=

#422 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:34 PM

I don't ever expect I'll be painting anything. My arts and crafts skill are legendarily awful.

Much like my posting.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#423 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:28 AM

fUYGqze.jpg

I'm told this is the work of a Goon.  There exist beastmen in the 40k lore.  They sometimes get into the Imperial Guard.  (Basically, we'll let you mutant freaks live if you're willing to die for the Imperium.)  So this guy took fantasy gors and minotaurs and made a Guard army.

It's beautiful. 

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#424 StevieTopSiders

StevieTopSiders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationAVRSE#1

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:48 AM

I've always been interested in 40K but obvi never played.  Do you buy the actual models for all of these armies, or do you just use like quarters and be like "yo that one is [Unit X]?"  Also, how important is painting?  That's the part I think I would blow at.  And also aren't these models like $5-20 a pop?

#425 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

There's a spectrum. 

Games Workshop intends that everybody will be playing with the models that match their army, down to the equipment and the paint scheme.  At a GW tournament, if my army has a 5-man Harlequin troupe armed with fusion pistols and harlequin blades that belongs to the Masque of Midnight Sorrow, I need to have five harlequin player models painted in the Midnight Sorrow color scheme, equipped with fusion pistols and harlequin blades.

People deviate from that plenty in non-GW events.  The group I'm playing with now, only one guy owns any models, so we all use from his collection and proxy like mad.  My harlequin army was actually made up of chaos space marines and gaurdsmen missing their arms.  The one friend who wants to run an ork army full of goblins is going to have so many units we won't have enough models.  He plans to use candy as the stand-ins.

There are two problems with proxies.  The first is confusing which units are yours, which would be impossible with proper models.  The second and more important one is unit size.  The game isn't played on a grid.  You move things around with a tape measure.  You measure from the model's base.  If you're a millimeter out of weapon range, you can't shoot.  With using quarters or whatever, you probably have a smaller base than you should.

None of the problems with proxies are insurmountable, especially if your proxies are other models (e.g. this space marine is an ork nob).

And yes, the models are quite expensive.  So too the paint and various tools GW wants you to use.  The Harlequin army I used last week was 750 points.  Pretty small.  It would cost about $250 from GW, not counting paint.  I'm told EBay is advisable.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#426 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:06 PM

pwSfsNY.jpg

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#427 leetcheese

leetcheese

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13237 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:22 AM

pwSfsNY.jpg

100 eyes fire emoji

i6OnB0N.jpg

#428 AsHenDo

AsHenDo

SC Cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5684 posts
  • LocationLiving in the database, the database, whoa

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

Warhammer books in the Humble Bundle

https://www.humblebu...ammer-rpg-books

LOL I have sigs disabled

#429 StevieTopSiders

StevieTopSiders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationAVRSE#1

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:52 AM

Does this thread ever just appear as unread to people and shoot you back a year ago when you click the "View New Posts" button?

It happens to me like once a month.

#430 brainfire

brainfire

jemble

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2674 posts
  • Location🔜⚰

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:34 AM

yes same

xTxyXLN.png

#431 Ingen