#51 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

I want to do a small Deathwatch army. 500 pt maybe (with a dread this may not be feasible) Heres the thing though, I want to use a dreadnought and Im not sure how to go about this.

Basically, I love Szobczak. Or at least the IDEA of Szobczak. Not a ton is written about him http://wh40k.lexican...m/wiki/Szobczak but the fact that he is a dread that, when he wakes up, is basically just a huge cantankerous pain in the ass that throughout the ENTIRE fight tells dudes on his own team how much they suck and how good it use to be is just amazing.

If any of you guys with experience in the table top have any advice Id appreciate it.

AgqiKcD.gif

#52 leetcheese

leetcheese

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13237 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

i didn't know there were polish space marines

i6OnB0N.jpg

#53 Don Peyote

Don Peyote

why not rub off now and in the shower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts
  • Locationa hell of my own making

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:59 PM

Szobczak is cool but he's no Bjorn the Fell-Handed

You've got to be a baller to redeem the Space Furfags just by existing

[21:41:43] <<pitts>> theres no reason for me to be a shill when apple sells itself

#54 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:11 PM

Szobczak is cool but he's no Bjorn the Fell-Handed

You've got to be a baller to redeem the Space Furfags just by existing

Yeah I know but it'd be difficult to explain how Bjorn ended up in the Deathwatch.

AgqiKcD.gif

#55 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:12 PM

I mean shit Id have Rylanor is there first round pick if I could explain how he got there.

AgqiKcD.gif

#56 bdd

bdd

cyberbu//y

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13134 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:33 PM

fallen is like the least nerd person i know except when he talks about warhammer. when he does you wouldn't even know he's kissed a girl let alone be married to one.

Jx0TM.png

#57 Don Peyote

Don Peyote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

Yeah I know but it'd be difficult to explain how Bjorn ended up in the Deathwatch.

he got bored of telling stories and went to go actually do shit

[21:41:43] <<pitts>> theres no reason for me to be a shill when apple sells itself

#58 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:47 PM

Yeah but, showing up for my first game and going "H-hey guys here is my Deathwatch Killteam list and oh btw BJORN THE FUCKING FELLHANDED has joined the party!"

People would look at me like I was a loon OR some furfag Russ cock gobbling store clerk would throw me out.

AgqiKcD.gif

#59 ocrumsprug

ocrumsprug

friendly dad actual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4475 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

Lol @ role playing a table top war game.

jk sounds awesome, no one will even read the name of characters though.

Al3sJEr.png

#60 stronke

stronke

kugu refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Locationnot kugutsumen.com

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

he got bored of telling stories and went to go actually do shit

Iirc they only awaken him on very rare ocasions and the annuel festival, he is to old and his mind is slipping. When dreadnoughts "age" it becomes harder and harder to awaken them from slumber. Bjorn being the oldest and having actually fought along side the primarchs he is now considerd a acient relic especially since Russ disapeared they consider him to be their only link left with their lost primarch. I never quiete understood why they gave him stats as in any spacewolf novel it becomes clear he just sleeps and tells stories these days :(

#61 stronke

stronke

kugu refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

I made a pretty slick army using a black templars force with a singel inquesitor hq from the deamon hunters army. I bought close to 100 deathwatch shoulder pads and gave one each to the templars. Alterd the collours to boltgun metal and dwarven bronze to make them more like classical knight suits. If you want i can ask my mate to take couple pics so i can show you. Might give you some ideas.

#62 stronke

stronke

kugu refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

Yeah but, showing up for my first game and going "H-hey guys here is my Deathwatch Killteam list and oh btw BJORN THE FUCKING FELLHANDED has joined the party!"

People would look at me like I was a loon OR some furfag Russ cock gobbling store clerk would throw me out.

Does the deathwatch even uses dreadnoughts? If i remember correctly they only deploy kill teams wich are small specialliced squads. That was why i just made a Black Templars army that rped being completly incorporated into the deatch watch something that could happen since they are a fleet based chapter. But rules wise they counted like normal templars

#63 Don Peyote

Don Peyote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:31 AM

they have a very small number of dreadnoughts, it's super duper rare for an SM to survive until they're interred, especially in the deathwatch where they rarely have the chance to recover the body beyond the geneseed, and then probably even rarer for a dread to not go back to his chapter, so the herd is pretty thin

I think I heard they give their dreadnoughts some pimpin shit like twin linked plasma cannons though so I guess that's ok

#64 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:02 PM

Does the deathwatch even uses dreadnoughts? If i remember correctly they only deploy kill teams wich are small specialliced squads. That was why i just made a Black Templars army that rped being completly incorporated into the deatch watch something that could happen since they are a fleet based chapter. But rules wise they counted like normal templars

Yeah they have a few, Szobczak being the most notable. He basically volunteered to go back over and over but no one really knows how he got there in the first place.

What little there is about him is hilarious.

AgqiKcD.gif

#65 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

And i was thinking about using the tenplars codex but i wanna use a librarian possibly so it wouldnt work.

AgqiKcD.gif

#66 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

I made a pretty slick army using a black templars force with a singel inquesitor hq from the deamon hunters army. I bought close to 100 deathwatch shoulder pads and gave one each to the templars. Alterd the collours to boltgun metal and dwarven bronze to make them more like classical knight suits. If you want i can ask my mate to take couple pics so i can show you. Might give you some ideas.

I would def be interested in pics. Id appreciate it.

AgqiKcD.gif

#67 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:10 PM

If you have the money, which means filthy rich these days, just get a 500 point army and play.

Posted Image

#68 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:14 PM

If I played against some new guy who was like "in using the standard space marine rules but I'm saying these guys are deathwatch" I'd be like "cool dude".

If you start making up rules or using units from other codex I'd be less keen unless I could do the same at which point I'd pick something horribly OP just to prove a point.

I only played theme stuff as big multiplayer games where everyone knows it's not in any way a competitive game.

Posted Image

#69 stronke

stronke

kugu refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:22 PM

I would def be interested in pics. Id appreciate it.

Ok ill give my mate a poke

If I played against some new guy who was like "in using the standard space marine rules but I'm saying these guys are deathwatch" I'd be like "cool dude".
If you start making up rules or using units from other codex I'd be less keen unless I could do the same at which point I'd pick something horribly OP just to prove a point.
I only played theme stuff as big multiplayer games where everyone knows it's not in any way a competitive game.

My army played as a blacktemplar army but i simply roleplayed they were used by the inquisitor as his own force.I used the DW shouderpads to represent this as it has the I sign.

I used no marshel and only a op chaplain (jetpack, power fist and weapon). 4 squads of 6 man with plasma cannon and gun suported with razor backs and lascannons. 2 squads of 10 man with power fists and melta gun plus rhinos. 3 assault squads, 2 5 man with power fist, 1 7 man with power weapon. 3 dreadnoughts with plasma cannons. And finely the inquisitor as second HQ and ally. Full retinue with 2 heavy bolters and a plasma cannon. All regular models not carrying any special equipment carried bolt pistol and chainsword.

All was 2000 points and very fun to play al tho i did get some qq's about the amount of plasma cannons i brought but i never cared.

Yeah they have a few, Szobczak being the most notable. He basically volunteered to go back over and over but no one really knows how he got there in the first place.
What little there is about him is hilarious.

I have never heard of him i should read up on him, mind naming some books that he plays roles in?

#70 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

> Szobczak.

I keep thinking of this guy:

The_Wire_Frank_Sobotka.jpg

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#71 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:16 AM

I have never heard of him i should read up on him, mind naming some books that he plays roles in?

The Rising Tempest Supplement from the RPG. There isnt very much tho which is why I think its funny, you could do alot with it story wise.

AgqiKcD.gif

#72 stronke

stronke

kugu refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:59 AM

I think i found the dude you are talking of

021514225536.jpg

#73 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:35 PM

Whoever painted that guy didn't water his paints down enough.

Posted Image

#74 Don Peyote

Don Peyote

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4152 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

thin your paints!!!

#75 leetcheese

leetcheese

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13237 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:17 PM

i like the spent shells on the ground

i6OnB0N.jpg

#76 stronke

stronke

kugu refugee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

i like the spent shells on the ground

It is standert on all the dread bases

#77 AsHenDo

AsHenDo

SC Cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5684 posts
  • LocationLiving in the database, the database, whoa

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:28 PM

Are we playing Mech Warrior? K lemme go get my highlander.

LOL I have sigs disabled

#78 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

Finished 2 more books within the last two weeks and I figure talking about 40K books in this thread rather than the book thread is probably a better idea.

Descent of Angels

Book 6 in the HH series takes us through the origination of the Dark Angels legion and their Primarch Lion El'Johnson. Out of everything I took from this book the thing most striking to me is that out of the 4 primarchs discussed in depth so far (Horus, Mortarion, Fulgrim and Johnson) Johnson is the biggest dick. This is wild due to the fact that the other 3 are either demon princes at this point or have been blown to hell by the big E. Out of the HH books I've read this has to be my least favorite. Not that the book is written poorly or anything it's just that the end kinda leaves you with a wtf feel. 

EDIT: So Descent of Angels has a followup (Book 11 Fallen Angels) and now that I know that maybe the Lion won't end up being a dick and I wont have to find myself guilty of heresy. It'll be awhile before I get there though as I'm a stickler (read: autist) for reading things in order. This in spite of the fact that the HH books aren't necessarily written in "order" of the time the events happened but whatever there is a list and I'm sticking to it.

Death or Glory

Another enjoyable romp with Caiaphas Cain HERO OF THE IMPERIUM. No Valhalans in this one though, it's all Cain and Jurgen being bros and saving the day. Ork fightin, tech priests with tails and Jurgens odor all summed up and delivered by none other than Amberly Vail. The best part about this book is no Jenit Sulla raping gothic. All in all a good quick read with Cain being Cain.

AgqiKcD.gif

#79 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Next up is Legion and Duty Calls OR I start with the Gaunt stuff.

AgqiKcD.gif

#80 ocrumsprug

ocrumsprug

friendly dad actual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4475 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

Next up is Legion and Duty Calls OR I start with the Gaunt stuff.

Legion is good, but if you haven't read the Gaunt's Ghosts books you need to remedy that quick.

e: as an aside, but he uses a different style in First and Only than he does in the rest of the books. If you hate it, then good you don't have to read it anymore. If you really like it, enjoy it while you can.

Al3sJEr.png

#81 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:37 PM

Legion is good, but if you haven't read the Gaunt's Ghosts books you need to remedy that quick.

e: as an aside, but he uses a different style in First and Only than he does in the rest of the books. If you hate it, then good you don't have to read it anymore. If you really like it, enjoy it while you can.

Maybe I'll just do Legion and First and Only then. I'm p sure I have it at home I just need to check.

AgqiKcD.gif

#82 Neverlastingfear

Neverlastingfear

fuck seargant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1714 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't remember making this topic, was I drunk or something?

QnLy17I.gif

#83 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

I don't remember making this topic, was I drunk or something?

nah i split off some nonrelevant shit from another thread and you just happened to be the first post. i tried to start a new one and merge this into that so you wouldnt be OP but it never worked so I gave up.

Sorry m8er

AgqiKcD.gif

#84 ocrumsprug

ocrumsprug

friendly dad actual

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4475 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:55 PM

It is basically a scarlet N you have to wear.

Al3sJEr.png

#85 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Started Legion and First and Only.

Still tempted to stop Legion and start Fallen Angels as Im rather curious to see what happens to some of the specific characters. I know what happens with the legion just hoping some bros pull through.

AgqiKcD.gif

#86 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Just finished reading Pariah. 

It was OK but like 80% of the book isn't really why we are reading it. We are reading the book because we want to see Eisenhorn and Ravenor kicking the shit out of each other. 80% of the book seems to be leading up to the last bit where it sets the scene for the actual fight between Eisenhorn and Ravenor and doesn't really add much to our understanding of what has happened in the gap between the end of the Ravenor trilogy and the new novel.

If I had bought this as part of the trilogy, and read the trilogy as one big book (which is what I do with Eisenhorn and Ravenor) it would be fine. The introductory third of the book that sets the scene, followed by two thirds of awesome content and story. However, on it's own I feel it's just a set up for the next two novels. 

Posted Image

#87 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

I think it is (was?) intended to be a trilogy though.

yep http://wh40k.lexican...om/wiki/Bequin_(Novel_Series)

AgqiKcD.gif

#88 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Yeah it is, but what I mean is say I got this book back in 2013, and i judged it as a stand alone book it's not very good.

Whereas the other two inquisition trilogies he has done while you can read them as a trilogy (I do) in one big book, each individual book is good in it's own right. In each story there is a bad guy that needs to be overcome, and in the end you see how it links to the next novel. 

This one doesn't feel like the main character has actually progressed through a story, it feels as if the main character has simply progressed through part of a story.

I know it was (is?) going to be a trilogy, but when you compare say the first Eisenhorn book or the first Ravenor book to this one, I don't think this has a plot that can stand on its own, but the other two do. 

Posted Image

#89 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:27 PM

I hear what you're saying. I have it but haven't read it yet and its not looking like I'm going to get to it anytime soon. Although now I am more curious to read it than I was before.

Have you listened to Thorn and Talon? The audio drama? Its p good albeit short.

AgqiKcD.gif

#90 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Holy fucking shit Legion and First and Only btw. Loving both so far and having trouble putting them down. 

AgqiKcD.gif

#91 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

I haven't listened to any of the audio stuff, I'm tempted though as there is some Caiphas Cain stuff too and I really enjoy those books, though I think I'm like 3 books behind the latest one.

Pariah is still an OK read, I think Abnett is being a little too overenthusiastic with what a psychic blank is actually capable of though, but this is the same guy who wrote Gaunt's Ghosts which includes a normal human capable of out stealthing a dark eldar and a normal human who can carry an autocannon on his own.

The really annoying thing is the ending of the book leaves you really in the mood to see Eisenhorn and Ravenor go head to head but the sequel isn't out yet.

I might get the next 3 Cain books though, it's either that or wait till they release a trilogy but I have no idea when that will be.

Posted Image

#92 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

Cain is great and I love his stuff even though they all tend to blend together (Jurgen smells, Surely this is less likely to get me killed, Amberly is trouble etc.). His audiodrama is Dead in the Water I believe. Its good but the guy who does the voicework isnt anything like I imagine how Cain would sound so it was just off to me. 

Now the guy who does Thorn and Talon is p much spot on how I imagine Eisenhorn would sound. This made Descent of Angels awkward as its the same dude doing the voice work but I imagined Eisenhorn doing the narration which didnt work as he wasnt alive for another few thousand years.

AgqiKcD.gif

#93 Inquisitor Kitchner

Inquisitor Kitchner

the minitani

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8538 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yeah the cain stuff is a bit samey, I guess I like it for the same reasons I liked Blackadder, it's just funny. It's also interesting as the author manages to make it funny without actually clashing with the GRIMDARK stuff.

The inquisition books have always been my favourite though as I love the inquisition, in particular the descent into radicalism or into puritanism that is essentially radical. It's the same reason I find space marines boring, space marines are the good guys, too pure, too powerful. The inquisition treads that grey line  that to me sums up the 40k universe in a nutshell. 

Posted Image

#94 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

I hear you to a certain extent. To me its all about perspective when you talk about any of the groups in 40k. If you look at marines from the perspective of the guard then yeah I can see how marines would look OP and therefore not much fun. When you read the marine books though from the marine perspective they get shredded left and right, especially pre-heresy.

AgqiKcD.gif

#95 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:12 PM

But yeah the Inquisition stuff is probably my favorite too. Although Im digging on Gaunt something hard right now.

AgqiKcD.gif

#96 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

I prefer the Tau because I'm a weeb.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

#97 Fallen

Fallen

chief

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2579 posts
  • LocationZulu Squad

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

YOURE ALSO A FUCKING HERETIC. 

AgqiKcD.gif

#98 Ingen

Ingen

Товарищ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14791 posts
  • LocationThe Trashcan

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:34 PM

If standing with black science man makes me a heretic, then so be it.

공산주의가 이길 것이다.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users