i6OnB0N.jpg

#2 Morgan Ender

Morgan Ender

gay and ready to play

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

okay so, i was away in school during the week so i couldn't get home to fix the fucking server

story time (boring, don't read)

you may remember the long maintenace period we had when we switched to a new isp

well, we never quite did in the end

the new isp's router didn't lease an ip to our server through ethernet. neither did our old isp's router any more. but the old isp's router leased when connected to through wifi, so we figured there was something up with the ethernet port on the server.

we purchased a new motherboard, and while waiting for it to ship, we connected the server to the old isp's wifi (have the old isp AND the new one until october 16th) as a temporary solution

today i got home and prodded the server and made the server go back up at around 4PM UTC,

but i quickly took it down as i had work to do:

today i was going to install the new motherboard, but before doing that i wanted to test the new isp's router one more time

this time, it actually leased through ethernet

like, what the fuck. so it was never the ethernet port at all. even though it refused to work the last time i tried it. anyway, i felt pretty happy about this development

except when i was setting up the port forwarding on the new isp's router i discovered that it is in fact the shittiest fucking router in the entire world
i port forwarded port 80 to the server's lan ip, along with mumble's ports, ssh, smtp, etc.

connection timed out every time. no firewalls, upnp disabled, sip disabled, even tried turning on dmz. connection timed out.

cue hours of troubleshooting and clawing at my own head, and finally i just gave up and switched us back to the old isp's wifi

so that's where we are now

we're on an internet connection that's only going to last until oct 16th and i'm sitting on a new isp whose router is fucked and basically useless for hosting purposes

going to call support tomorrow, but i doubt that's going to help

anyway, just wanted to let you know why the fucking site was down for like three days+

sorry, i wish i could do more

stop

#3 leetcheese

leetcheese

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13219 posts
  • Locationchicago

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

Fe3G1FW.gif

i6OnB0N.jpg